Saturday, June 18, 2005

Now You Know How I Felt

Or "how I fulled", I should say. I'm talking about wool that's been run through a hot wash, of course. Felting -- fulling is the correct term-- is the current production phase in the Factory Suzette, and it's rather entertaining.

How? Natural fibres, such as wool or mohair, have scales along the fibre shaft, which when subject to hot water swell and lift off the fibre surface. When friction is applied -- as in a washing machine, say -- these scales bind together, creating a dense and tight fabric, quite unlike the open and loose weave of conventional knitted fabric. Felting, quite simply, is an intentional, semi-controlled disaster: you knit something, you belt it around in hot water and light a candle to the deity* of your choice, praying for their favour.

bag before
Pre-wash length approximately 14 inches.


What? Only certain yarns will felt, so a test swatch is a worthwhile investment, unless you're a) ridiculously impatient b) have limitless money c) have limitless time. As mentioned earlier, wool and mohair are the prime contenders for fulling, due to the scaly surface of the fibre. Others such as silk, cotton or synthetic fibres have smooth surfaces, hence won't felt up at all. Some processed wool, such as "prewashed" wools, or certain colours (particularly lighter ones) often prove resistant to the persuasion of hot water. Test swatches. Need I say it again? Test swatches, every time.


bag after
  • Post-wash, coming in at around ten and a half inches long.


Why? Because it's bloody fabulous, that's why! The whole process is exciting; the simple act of washing the article can transform it into something quite different altogether. The fabric is dense, too; no need to line bags, and it keeps the wind out where regular knitted fabric fails. And the surface itself has such an unusual quality, quite professional. I took the green bag pictured here out when meeting a friend for coffee yesterday, and she seemed astonished when I told her that I'd made it... and promptly told me her preferred colours and placed an order. Sometimes it's better to keep the bragging to yourself.


* You could do worse than start with Athena, who was a weaver and wool-worker, or Freya who spun.

6 Comments:

At Sunday, June 19, 2005 5:58:00 pm, Blogger miss wendy said...

Yeah yeah, show us the whole thing though go on go on, show us the whole thing ( with tail waggging and tongue hanging out)

 
At Sunday, June 19, 2005 6:17:00 pm, Blogger Mrs Robot said...

Here 'tis.

 
At Thursday, June 30, 2005 11:18:00 pm, Blogger miss wendy said...

THANKS FOR THAT, PHEW! THAT'S BETTER, NOTHING WORSE THAN A TINY TASTE! and I know there's Freya and Athena but there's also Wendy (and brother Wayne) who spun down the hill in theri back yard while crouched in the inside of an empty wine barrel.. now that's spinning for ya! - trully spinning Wagga Wagga style, xx

 
At Friday, July 01, 2005 7:22:00 am, Blogger Mrs Robot said...

I've just made a new felted bag, too, which I'll be posting images of as soon as I can put my hands on the cable that links my camera to the PC.

This bag won't lose that wet wool smell due to the current weather conditions, but fortunately it's an interesting odour... not exactly pleasant, but not actually offensive, either. I do wonder what the people who sit next to me on the bus think, though; perhaps they think I just washed my dog or something.

Next project involves a bit of "Nana Nylon" which I bought on eBay... you know the stuff, you've seen those toilet roll holders fashioned to look like dollies with big, cylindrical skirts made out of it. Classy, it is.

 
At Tuesday, July 26, 2005 11:26:00 am, Blogger Fatuous One said...

BAG GOOD! Definitely a saleable item. Machine felting is fun (I remember making strange things long ago) - I have been thinking about felt lately. (Nothing so organised as knitting) The alternative is more controlled but involves lots of bamboo matting, soapy water, getting wet and tenacity.... I remember that getting less strange results but being less fun.

 
At Tuesday, July 26, 2005 7:36:00 pm, Blogger Mrs Robot said...

OOoooOOoooh!! I've been wondering about real felting.

I'm looking forward to the Ekka, where the Spinners and Weavers group always has a kick-arse display, and many items -- including felting samples -- on display.

Actually, I've done another couple of bags since this one, but haven't gotten around to posting the photos. Hmmm, must do that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker